Monday, March 3, 2008

Post 7

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4VlPVzM97Eo

The reason I included the link with the song "Kevin Barry" is because it reminds me of the dad, Malachy. Throughout the memoir so far, Malachy has come home drunk many times and everytime he comes home this way he sings this song. McCourt writes, "I know it's my father because he's the only one in Limerick who sings that song from the North, Roddy McCorley goes to die on the bridge of Toome today. He comes round the corner at the top of the lane and starts Kevin Barry" (110). I am not fond of the dad at all because he is still not supporting his family. This is shown when McCourt says, "I'm seven, eight, nine going on ten and still Dad has no work" (145). He has to start growing up, stop drinking and singing Kevin Barry and get a job.

No comments: