Monday, October 8, 2007

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly Reaction

I just finished reading “The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.” It is a memoir about Jean-Dominique Bauby. Before I started reading this book, I thought it was going to be very good and interesting. When I heard that he wrote it just be blinking an eye, I couldn’t wait to read it. I thought that that couldn’t be possible and was excited to read what he can write doing so. After reading the first chapter I didn’t think it was too bad. As I read into the book, I started to not like it more and more. I was confused the whole time and didn’t understand what he was talking about and which people were who. When he talked about his dreams, I started to day dream while reading. I know this is a great accomplishment and it is something most people would NEVER be able to do or have the patience to do so but I didn’t understand the moral and theme of the book, “The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.” I am happy for him that he completed the book and that it is a bestseller, but it is something that myself as a reader wouldn’t get into.
I did like one of the chapters in the book a lot though. This chapter was “A Day in the Life.” I liked this chapter because he explains what was going on at the time of his coma. It made me feel very sad while reading the end especially when James Bauby goes, “We’ll have to cancel the play. We would have been late in any case. We’ll go tomorrow night.” The reason I felt sad was that he wasn’t able to say goodbye to anyone and then one day couldn’t speak and say his feelings and couldn’t help it at all. I feel very sad for his family and friends when they talk to him but he can never respond.
Even though I didn’t like the book, I think it is very cool how he wrote it. I am glad I was able to read it because if I hadn’t and just heard about how he wrote it, I would have never believed the person.

No comments: